Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A {little} Rant

The local Christian radio station I listen to is running an ad that is about to drive me up the wall. This may be worse than the time another station played the song Over and Over Again, over and over and over and over and over....again. This ad runs at least two times every hour and I've had enough. Enough, that I'm climbing up on a little soap-box.

Apparently, running (very annoying) ads on a Christian radio station is the way to convince mother's to breastfeed their babies. And it's the best way to spend some non-profit, pro-breastfeeding organization's money. Lovely.

Y'all know I'm very pro-breastfeeding. I really think it's the best thing for a baby and it saves your family a TON of money, among many other things. BUT I also think it's a very personal decision and not a decision someone should make because of a (very) cheezy ad on the radio. Sure, if the horrible ad gets moms to talk about it - maybe it will lead to more people breastfeeding. And that's a great thing....blah, blah, blah.

All these "you-must-breastfeed" organizations love to tell you the positives (and there are a lot): how wonderful it is, how much money you'll save, how it will help moms lose their baby weight so much faster, how easy is it to feed in public, how natural it is, etc. However, I also think all of these organizations, should be honest about how hard breastfeeding can be. They don't tell new mothers (especailly first time mothers) how much it's going to hurt and how clueless you are going to feel. They don't share that you will constantly worry if your child is eating enough or if you are producing enough. And if you don't produce enough milk - just pump (cause that's not akward and painful enough). They don't tell you that all of that weight you lost, you'll gain 10-15 pounds back once you are done breastfeeding. They don't tell you that there will be moments you will feel like a cow and a dairy farmer all at the same time. And feeding in public - seriously?!?! Just cause the law say you can, doesn't mean it's easy or comfortable.

I'm not trying to be a negative-nelly, I'm just trying to be honest. Breastfeeding is hard.

Yes, breastfeeding was hard and I was VERY happy to be done. However, it was the right decision for me and for Emily. I always told myself, if it didn't work, it didn't work. But I wanted to give it a good, honest try. And I did. And it worked, for a year. There were a lot of moments I really doubted what I was doing. I wondered if I was doing everything right. And all along I kept thinking, "this isn't as easy as everyone (and the ads) made it seem." It was hard and a lot of work. But it was worth it.

.....climbing down for my soap-box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin